Tuesday 19 May 2015

Textures and Borders

Part 1
For this task, we had to create images in Photoshop using textures. I tried using a variety of different textures in my images to see different outcomes. Additionally, I've created texture images for both my black and white and colour film photo shoots and digital too.


Black and White:





This is one of my textures image that is in a square format. When I created this image, I had to change the overlay image into black and white and also crop the building image into a square format. After placing the two together, I've changed the opacity of the overlay so you can see the background more. I adjusted the opacity and fill levels till the background is more visible than the overlay because it's the subject. Now the image actually looks like a double exposure. 





Here's another example of my textures edit. Like previously, I changed the overlay image into black and white so it would correlate to the background. As I was editing them together, I zoomed in the overlay more so it would focus more on the reflection of the buildings. I changed the fill and opacity a little lower because the church windows were bright so it would still remain the subject of the image.





In this example, I've similarly changed the overlay image to black and white and placed them together. Then I played with the levels to make it more higher in contrast. This emphasises the effect of the brick being rough and hard. The image together represents the interior of the church and the exterior materials of the church.





Unlike previously where I've used my film images, these are both digital images. Also, the technique is slightly different too. Firstly, I've decided to desaturate both images so then they'd fit together more naturally. With my overlaying image, I rotated it so it would be in a vertical format so it would fit easily. Once I've placed them together, instead of changing the opacity or fill like previously, I've used the selection tool over the building and removed the texture image on the overlay layout. The reason behind this was to give the image some depth. It makes the skyscraper look more 3-D along with the scale aspect.




Colour:




Personally, this is one of my favourite textures image. This time round, I used colour digital images and I combined this ceiling image with a triangle glass texture of Leeds University. After placing the two together, I decided to change the blend mode from normal to overlay. This made the triangles contrast and blend better on the background image. Also tweaked the fill so it would just consist of the lines as the texture. In addition, I also played with the colour balance to add more of a warmth tone to it. This adds this antique element to the image.





I have used these two film images together because they are both based around interior designs. With the overlaying image, I rotated the image 180' because it has a better effect leading into the image. I changed the opacity so that you can see both images clearly and I wanted to go for that subtle look where it's equal and looks like a double exposure.





This was just a random edit. I've used these light lantern as a texture over this building. It gives it this depth element and looks gritty. I adjusted the opacity and fill so it's not too visible but you can see the texture element on the building. I like how the overlay is highly visible on the building and the left side seems very faded away. This has the effect that the building has these texture and not the whole image itself.





This is the last of textures. I have used this ceiling image as a texture and the next store and combined the two. I've used the overlay blend so that the blue sky would go and the grids will just overlay on our background image. Now you can see that the grids are part of the image when in reality, it's an image of the ceiling. I think the grid texture works with our the grey bricks and it just gives depth to the next logo.





Part 2
For this part of the task, we had to create images in Photoshop using borders. I've tried using different borders that suits the type of architecture and enhances the effects. Like previously, I've made these borders for my old and new sets of images to compare the styles and effects.




This border looks very artistic. It reminds me of old paintings with the way the brush strokes are slanted. In my opinion, it does give it an old effect because it links with painting and that period of time. Now something like this would be us using these techniques again and bringing it back for this old look.



This is the same image with a spray/splatter border. In comparison to the previous image, I prefer the other one because you could say this is slightly more modern and funkier. I think I splattered far too much in the image. The other border also works with the image better because it works well with the clock tower. However, this works if we were going for a distressing image. It could be seen and linked as this burned style where the image has all these dots that have ruined the image.




In comparison to the previous image, this is also using the splatter effect but at a considerable amount. This effect makes the edges look dissolved. I think this is a nice touch to old architecture because it makes the image look worn out around the edges.




This is the same image as before. I was playing with the gradient background to give it this two tone effect. The idea behind this was to make the image distressed with this colour loss effect over time. This would communicate that the image is very old. This is just an example but if the gradient was to be that sepia colour then it would possibly work.




In this new architecture image, I've added a modern style border of using fine lines. It's such a simplistic border but it can make the image look very sophisticated. This kind of border differs from the older architecture styles because this is very minimal like the architecture and the older perspective consists of more details.




This is the same image with a black border. On the border, there is this glossy line that makes the simplistic border a little bit sophisticated. It adds a bit of perspective with it's 3-D form. It looks like an image on a frame with a window mounted on it so you can see the cut out. I think this border suits the new side of architecture because of how consistent the border is all the way round and it doesn't look distressed at all.




In this border, I've used this tiles design that works with new architecture. I like how the border is quite transparent so you can still see the image through it. It's quite subtle and stylish. It's got repetitive design around it and the consistency suits new architecture. If you look closely, the border looks like rocks. I think this border does make the image stand out and it just adds a little bit more to a standard image.



Overall, it wasn't hard to create these border images but it would require some time to use the technique. I think the designs, techniques and creativity are endless so I just showed a selection that best suits the type of architecture. I would possibly make more during other pieces of work so I will upload them here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment