Tuesday 19 May 2015

Task 1

For this task, we were told to research on these particular elements of design and then to capture our own images using these techniques. The elements of design that I looked at were:
  • Line
  • Shape
  • Form
  • Texture
  • Scale
  • Lightening
Like previously, we were asked to photoshoot and consider the way we compose the shot. From the previous task, I decided to shoot in full manual settings to give me sharper and nicely exposed images. Luckily the day we went to shoot was bright and blue which does make an impact to the image with moods and communication it gives to a viewer.


Contact Sheets









These are my final 6 that I've selected for my elements. I really like how the blue sky has made the images much appealing than a dark, dull sky would have done.



Analysis


Shape


















This is my image for Shape. I liked how the sky is a main feature in this image as a backdrop. It helps the building to contrast from the background making it stand out. I think other elements really work together to make it a good shot. With the shape, the lighting has helped it visualize both sides of the building as the left life is more under a shadow and the right side is being exposed by the sunlight. There is also an element of scale as the sky is right behind it. Using camera techniques and taking this image with the furthest angle as possible, this helped me to capture the whole building and allowed me to compose it right where it is. You can slightly see these tree branches near the bottom right which was unintentional to be honest, but I think this does give it this illusion scale that it's high above the tree. I didn't want to zoom in too much or move angles because this was the perfect position with the shadows in place.

Texture

















This image is for the texture element of this task. In order to capture texture on buildings, it was necessary to capture close up shots that can focus on the material in detail. In my image, you can see this rough texture on the building. On my manual settings, I focused it on the small bricks so that they expose dark enough with a some high range contrast to emphasise on the rough texture. If you open up the image, you can see the lines that are on the bricks and alongside that, the shadows also give it the depth. This makes the image more visually 3-D making the texture really stand out. This image also represents the lines element along with the lighting element. These little elements work together in consideration to make a good image.


Lines
Square Format
Abstract
















This image is for lines. It is initially taken in a landscape format but I think the idea was to get this symmetrical look working with the lines on the building. I also showed it in a square format to make it equal on each side. I think the landscape gives it this wider view, almost looks panoramic as the lines lead you through the images. I also shown a extreme close up of what it looks like with just the lines. It makes it much more abstract and you can't really tell what sort of building it is. The image itself emphasises on lines with the way the lighting really shines on the right side making it overexposed on details, and the left side darker which shows you more details on the texture and the lines. I think the angle is also helping the lines drift away from each other rather than capturing it straight ahead. Angle gives it more depth in the abstract view.

Scale

























Referring back to the primary research, I think it was better to use a portrait format to show scale on tall skyscrapers. Using this camera technique, it allows me to capture more from the bottom to the top. It instantly gives it the scale factor. The sky is also a nice attribution to the image because it adds scale. It sounds repetitive but I think the way the image is composed being large from the bottom and getting smaller as its further way just shows the scale element as we know things get smaller as it's further away in our eyes.


Reflection

This is my reflection image. I managed to capture this nice reflection of a building that was rather far away. The sunlight was in the right direction behind that building which gave it a nice reflection onto this glass building. I think the way I captured it is nicely done because the building is also a curve so it gives the reflection a fragment look. The trees beside the reflection also gives it this scale that it's almost the same level. I also exposed it to a good extent where the reflection is seen and the glass isn't too dark or bright which might effect the reflection.

Form




















This is my form image. You can see the building shape and how it's formed. The angle I've taken the shot is also giving it this depth which show form. I like how the right side of the building is a curve and it's going around in the image. The wood elements give it his 3-D depth which separates the left parts and right parts of the building to give it the 3-D angle. If you look long into this picture, you almost can see different perspectives of the way it's been taken. It's been taken at a low angle but sometimes it gives this illusion that the wood bits could be the front. The sunlight was also coming from behind which makes the building partly in shadows except the top where sunlight was hitting on.


No comments:

Post a Comment