Tuesday 19 May 2015

Abstract Photography

Abstract photography focuses on different elements of their subject. This could differ from textures to pattern. It could possibly be any element out there. Furthermore, abstract is successful when the viewer can't see the whole subject and they have their own interpretation on what the subject is and what it implies. Some main elements that are usually part of abstract photography are as follows:
  • Textures
  • Patterns
  • Angles
  • Colour
  • Shape
  • Form
  • Curves
  • Symmetrical
  • Perspective and Depth
  • Reflection
  • Blur (Bokeh)
and lots more..
Information source:


Example

This is a cool example of abstract photography. It consists of many elements but I'd narrow it down to pattern. You can see this repetitiveness in the image and the angle is pretty bold. You can tell it's architecture but you can't really see it overall, you can only this chunk in a crooked way.

Example 2

I like this example because unlike in the previous example where you can tell its architecture, this is completely up to the viewers interpretations. It's actually an abstract image of a rooftop in the train station, in Belgium. I think it's amazing in the way it's been composed and angled that the lines are completely straight throughout the image. It almost looks like an escalator with the way the lines are going downwards but I think it's just been rotated.


Contact Prints:
Images taken at the NEC, Birmingham trip






This is one of my abstract images. I was inspired by my research with the rooftop. So I captured this image of the ceiling and rotated the image. I like how the design of the ceiling is very simplistic and the white is very matt coloured which I've seen consistent throughout for new architecture. There is also this repetition with the pattern so it worked quite nicely. In the conventional image, you can see the ceiling and you can see peoples head as they walk past which puts it in a better perspective.



I like this example because it focuses on the colour element. It's actually a wall with these lights in the NEC, Birmingham. You can also see these large bricks and they lead through the image. These kind of bricks also connect with new architecture. In addition, they are also look smooth and matt coloured. I think the colour feature makes it really abstract because it might give everyone different interpretations as to what it is or whether that's the lights on the ceiling.  



So far it's cool how these abstract images are created with some camera techniques and no editing, except rotating. Moreover, I will also be creating some abstract images using other creative techniques that would hopefully be well considered and eye catching.


Inspired from Clean Bandits Album Art

This is one of my favourite abstract image. I've been inspired by Clean Bandits album cover with how they use shapes and images in a abstract way and decided to create a simplistic version with squares. First of all, I used a square format, selected the image as my background and made it desaturated. Then I've copied the image again and duplicated it various times till I get this repetitiveness.






This is another example I've made in both colour and black and white. I used a different technique where I've used one little chunk of a building and made it repetitive into this creative design. I think you can't really tell it's a building until you look at one of the squares and realise that it's a chunk of an old building.




Another random edit I've made of some lights. I just used some elements of the image and made this abstract image using bits and pieces. From looking at it, you can't exactly tell what it is and you can only see this pattern from the metal poles. But when you look at the full image, you can see the context fully. I think that is the objective of abstract photography.

Overall, it's been a fun task to try these different techniques of making abstract photographs. I think looking at examples and researching was the best bit because it's amazing what you can come across. I think the creativeness are endless and some examples could be so advanced in looking very surreal. I did enjoy this task and I liked how it gave me a chance to look at graphical elements and bring it into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment