Tuesday 19 May 2015

Solarisation

Relating back to the camera and photography techniques task, Solarisation was one of my techniques that I've created both in the darkroom and digitally. I personally prefer the conventional way because it gives you a chance to use the technique and see it appear practically. Here are my examples I've created digitally on Photoshop.


This image has been solarised this way where it's not overly looking silver. It's more of a grey and darker tone. I like the effect it gives to the image. It makes the image look old. I like how the details on the building is still visible and clear to see as the colour of the image is consistent. The clouds in the image also gives it this effect with the tone as it changes.



In this example, the solarisation is used on this image of the town hall gate. You can see the details of the gate and it almost has this brown tone to it. I like the way the image is composed with the arch almost being symmetrical. The contrast is a lot more lower in this therefore the white bits seem to be partly glowing.


This image is slightly different to the previous two. It genuinely has a different shade of grey and it looks more silver too. I like the way it gives the image this inverted look and makes the dark bits lighter and vice versa. I think the contrast is considerately used because it isn't too overpowering with the white bits where we lose details or it's glowing. 


This is my the final experiment on solarisation. I like how this image isn't too overpowered by the solarisation effect. I like how there is depth under the archway. You can see the perspective of the image and the solarisation just adds a touch of shine to the original black and white image.


Here is an example of solarisation on colour. It inverts the colour and gives it this HDR look. I think it's pretty cool because it does make the image sharper and it kind of gives an old effect. It looks like a burned image that changes colour on some photographic paper. For this edit, I used the solarise filter than adjusted the levels. I've added a little more contrast and increased the brightness so it gives the sharpness and HDR look.

Overall, it was easy to make these images on Photoshop and it gives you the power to control the way you want it to look by adjusting the levels and a range of other elements. If we had time, I would want to try doing solarisation in a conventional way for my colour images to see if they work and what they look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment