Tuesday 19 May 2015

Experimental Techniques (Old)

Here are my digital experimental techniques that I've done on my old film photoshoot images. I've scanned my negatives and now I will be using Photoshop to discover how I can experiment my images with old effect techniques. Also collaborating with other techniques that I've used throughout this project. 


Old Effects:


I created this image on Photoshop using various effects. I was going for that 'spilled coffee' effect because it gives the image this brown tone and it makes an image look aged. In photoshop, I cleaned up the image to remove any dust. Then I used the liquify tool to give this texture look. I changed the colour balance and added some warm filters giving me this faded old style image. 


For this image, I wanted to focus more on the colour element and make it look slightly desaturated. This is because it makes an image slightly muted and gives the impression that the colour has changed through the years. I've also adjusted the tone of the image making it purplish and added more contrast because it makes the building look very bold and it enhances the details and the colour makes it seem older than it might be.


This is an overlaying texture experiment. I think my intentions weren't set when I was making this but the results look like a double exposure image or it can also be a scratched image. Either all, I created this the same way as I normally did for overlaying textures. I also created one with a darker opacity because it makes the lighter one look more gritty. I think it reminds me of a scratched image more because of all the little fire sparks.



This is an sepia inspired look. I added this colour tone for the old effect on the building. Then added vignette for effect because it makes the edges look worn out. I think both of these techniques on Photoshop has worked well in communicating old in the image. I like how the building looks very dark with the contrast, it just adds this age perspective that its really old.



For this image, I've used this gradient tool on Photoshop to give it this look. It makes the image dark on the bottom and it fades to a lighter tone on the top. I think it works nicely with old architecture because it gives this brown/orange tone that fades to a darker side which emphasises on the old effect. It makes the image look distressed and has the effect of a dirty image. This could link with time because it shows that over time, the image is wearing out.



Here's a pretty much random edit of an image with a old buildings reflections. It actually looks like a texture image with the windows. Or possibly a double exposure that blended together. I was just playing with the colour of the reflection making the old buildings in the reflection look old. However, this building itself is new and is made of big glass panels. So I thought I'd manipulate that and create this slight abstract image.


This is the same image as before but presented in a complete different way. I decided to darken the building and just see what sort of outcome I get. I was trying to make an image look old by making it darker. I know by darking an image, you normally lose the details. However, I think it does add on an element of time. It's makes the image look all rusty and I think it's an interesting experiment for old effects.


Unlike previously, I changed the colour balance and tone to this orange and brown sort to make it look very old. In this case, I've used it to make the image feel warming. I like how this image is very bold and it lacks details of the surroundings. Then you have the lights and you see the arch in this warming filter. It amazes me how this was created from a black and white image and it looks like it's been taken in colour.


This image is actually made up of dots. I've used this effect because I think it works well with creating an old effect. It gives this grainy look and I just like the way it gives the impression that the building is made up of dots. This gives it this past history look and it's pretty cool because it reminds me of how old images were when Photography started.


Here's a Painting with developer styled, inspired image and created on Photoshop. I've added a twist with the grains on the image itself to make it look even more old. It doesn't quite look amazing as it does with the way it's created in a darkroom. But I like the way the image appears around the edges and it's also inconsistent which does enhance the painting element.


Scary Effects:


These sets of images are created for a scary effect. I've put them in order in each stage and from lightest to darkness. I've created these images by firstly adding vignette. This makes the edges look dark and gives it this circle look. Then adjusted the levels to make the image look darker but also keeping the bright bits so you can see the bricks and the wall light. Then finally adding noise to manipulate the image to suit this scary theme. I think it's a good technique and it really does reflect upon the look I am after. It was also easily done using my black and white images.



This is another example using the same technique. Both of the images are the same except one is darker than the other. I think the images I've chosen for the scary effects work really well because it enhances the scary bits through the architecture. Like here I have the wooden rooftop and that whole old architecture works really well with this scary effect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This is one of my finals for my Photoshop digital piece for experimenting with techniques. Also with how it communicates as an old image. I've considered my images and came to a conclusion with this image because it's well considered with the techniques. I've used this border for effect because it gives it this ripped look which does enhance that it's an old photo and gives it this age perspective. I've used the colour tone for effect because it enhances the building, making it look old. I've changed the contrast and make it a little bold enough where you can also focus on the details that differ to new architecture. Also, the colour of the building is slightly desaturated which gives the impression that the building is old and has been there for years. Beside the techniques, I like the way the image is composed. It was also well considered with the camera technique because I managed to capture the clouds behind it. This makes the building stand out and there is a sense of scale. I tried to avoid any converging verticals and I've tilted the image to make it look as natural as I could. In my opinion, I think all these elements have come together to make this image look old and antique.


No comments:

Post a Comment