Tuesday 19 May 2015

Task 1 - Holiday Task

This task over half term required us to photograph 2 different images of a building using elements or techniques that we've looked at in this project.

Contact Sheets





Texture
Lighting



































Here is an image of my house. I decided to capture a texture element of the bricks because the texture of the bricks are very rough. I took the shot closely giving it this abstract look. I think from reflecting on the image, taking a close up shot strictly focuses on the bricks as a subject so it works well with texture. The second image is taken right as the sun was there giving it this lens flare effect. I think the weather makes the image more exciting giving it some extra effect. I took this directly at the sun because it's a lighting element and i wanted to show which direction the sunlight was coming from. You can see rays of sunlight hitting onto the window and all the tiles on the rooftop is being hit with some light.


Scale


Relection


















This image was taken using the scale element in mind. I decided to shoot the image in this way with the tree because I liked how it's builds the scale. You have the sky in the back and the trees which is supposedly the highest things generically. I taken this image on landscape to focus on the trees on a wider view rather than taking it on a vertical format with a narrow width. I like how the tree branches are really dark so that contrasts with the building lighting. The sky is also caught at a very nice day for both images. The second image is actually on reflection and you can see that building in the reflection on the glass. I like how the image has been composed and the reflection is directly across the road. You can see majority of the building on the reflection which keeps the scale still high. The weather has made some good effects on the reflection because the sky is visible and the glass isn't hit with sunlight therefore the reflection is nice and clear. I also captured bits of this building in a slanted angled to make the building in the reflection go straight upwards.


Shape
Form




































The first image works well with Shape. It could also work with texture because the shape is repetitive. I like how it has an abstract element because you see some reflection on the triangles which leaves you wondering where it is. I specifically chose shape for this image because I think the triangles makes up the image. So it's almost about thinking out of the box. When you look at the second image, you can see a more detailed image of the same building. I selected this image to represent form because you can see the structure of the building and it has this third dimensional feel to the image as I've captured it low angle. The sky is also a nice element to the image, giving it good lighting. When comparing the two, you can see the first image is more easy to the eye. The triangles are very direct forward and that is another feature as to what makes an image interesting, as to how natural you can make it look yet so bold.



Scale
















Lines



















The first image was reflecting scale. Instead of taking it from a low angle and giving it scale, I was aiming for this juxtaposition effect where the building is simply beside the sky. I think it's worked but may not be the best idea. If I was to consider using scale, I would compare the building to something smaller like a tree or a car. But the locations I went to were not very helpful therefore I had to compromise. The second image is a looking up image. I was mainly focusing on the lines and you can see how they disappear into the image. The sky could have been a little better for a nicer lighting and backdrop however, this sky does contrast with the darkened building.


Form/Vertical

Scale









































This first image is reflecting form. You can see how this sculpture looks 3-D with the structure. It has twisted features and that differs the form from a shape. The image has a nice sky and the exposure is nice and bright. The image almost looks abstract because you can't tell it's a sculpture or a building, or has anything to do with architecture. That's perhaps why I was leaning more towards capturing this different type of architecture. The second image is representing shape. Like the previous image, I've capture this as wide as I could have done. You can see a tree next to the building which compares the size of the building and adds scale. There is also another smaller building on the other side and a lamppost. All these elements come together to give enormous scale to the building, as you can also see it goes beyond the frame. You can then tell it's a skyscraper.


Lines

Shape


































Here's an image representing lines. I like the composition of the image because it really does emphasise on lines. You can see how it's leading away or leading in depending on how you look at it. The lines are captured as straight as I could without a tripod. Along with lines on the building stones, there are also lines on the windows. With the lighting, you can see the edge of the building as one side has more of a shadow to it. Whereas the second image is reflecting shape. You can see patterns with the windows with the way they are repetitive. As I took this with standard lens on 18mm, you can how the lines are converging which causes a distortion to the image of the building.



Lighting

Shape


































I really like the lighting on the first image. The building is slightly dark and then you have a row of light bulbs across the building and the sky feature letting in some light. The building itself was nice and old fashioned so it was nice to capture. There is a lot of details inside this building so having the lights dimmed, it almost gives the chance to glaze in. I captured the same image focusing on the ceiling and shapes. You can see from the pillars and upwards the shapes of the windows and the designs are very repetitive. Overall, the building was very interesting to me and I liked the antique feeling it gives off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment