Tuesday 27 January 2015

Evaluation

In this unit, we was focusing at location photography. Within location photography, we were working on inanimate object. In the end of the unit, we have created our showreel after doing numerous tasks and additional work. All these were helping us build up our ideas into creating this final showreel using all the techniques we have learned throughout this unit. 

Task 1
This task was like an introduction to this project. It kind of helped me understand as to how location can fit into different genres. It also set our minds to work with the indoors and outdoors locations. This helped us look at how lighting can give different effects on our images. Different lighting can give us different emotions whether it be dark, or bright. It was also a chance to explore different locations that we could use for our ideas. This task was very effective because it helped me mainly to understand how lighting can be effective in location photography.

Task 1b
This is the second half to task 1. This task was to bring our inanimate object in to our locations that we visited for the previous part. Looking back and evaluating myself, it makes sense as to why we did that. It kind of forebode how we needed to make our inanimate object fit into the location rather than just taking an image holding it straight ahead. This task was like a heads up for our final. Looking back, I must admit that my diptych ain't exactly the best, but all that pre work has allowed me to create an amazing finale.

Task 2
This task was broken up into two halves. The task was all about techniques. Firstly we looked at composition, specifically at format and angle. I think this helped me almost compare the different format and angles that could have been used. It also helped me understand the different effects each format and angle has on the image. Format can allow you focus on a wide perspective or a narrow perspective. Angles has different effects of giving the subject scale, and making them either big or small. These effects have influenced me in the way my images have turned out because I was really working with these techniques. The second half was about perspective, golden section and leading lines. This half in my opinion was really interesting to work on. I really think after doing this task, it has helped me how to take my images in an effective way to grab the viewers attention on the subject. I think it can be seen on my final image that I've really considered all these techniques and tried being flexible to work with them all. I am also proud of the images that were taken on the task considering it was done in a short period of time. I think it really illustrates what each technique has on the image.

Task 3
Now that we have learned what would make an image look effective, it was time to start planning. At that moment, I had forgotten about the inanimate object I was going to go with. So then I had a look at the ideas I came up with and thought that the egg was the most effective because I can get the most shots from it. It was going to be a quirky and a creative idea because I was thinking of drawing faces on my egg. I just thought of making these as creative as I can because I was inspired by looking at some animations - although this task wasn't relating to animations. It was a similar technique of using inanimate objects bringing them to life. After deciding with the egg, I started to plan my shots roughly so I had enough of 20 images minimum. That was when I was effectively referring some of the shots to the techniques we've worked on for our images. So it kind of set me a path on how to get the best images I could. After conducting that and making sure I had 20 images minimum, I started doing my storyboard. In the storyboard, I didn't want to just state what the shot was. So I included whether it was natural or artificial lighting depending whether or not it's indoors or outdoors because I was familiar with the locations I was planning to be working at. I wrote a small description of what the shot was and where it was located. Therefore, it was like all planned for when I went shooting. I also done some risk assessments to ensure that I am working in a safe location and decide to go for the photoshoots because most of the risks would be very likely if I was working immaturely which I was 100% certain I wasn't. 

The results of the photoshoots turned out really good. As I mentioned in the tasks, I wanted the hazy, evening look in my images and that really worked out. I used most of the techniques from task 2 for different effects. To give a few examples, I used high angle to make the egg look vulnerable and broken. This allows you to almost feel sympathetic for the egg. There was also some birds eye angle which give scale of the egg being on the ground. It also makes it small and gives a sense of reality. I used the landscape format because I think this suits location photography. It gives you a wider point of view. I used rule of thirds a couple of times because I was really intrigued to be developing this technique. I think this technique has worked well and does draw your attention to the subject. The locations in the photograph works well because I like the whole urban theme. The reason why I was inspired by urban photography is because it's almost bringing the egg into our world, on the streets. It works with the whole concept of inanimate object coming to life. If I didn't use location so appropriately, it wouldn't really have the same effect because there won't be that real life aspect. It would just be dull and not really focused on location if for instance if I decided to do it on a table. I think taking the subject to the outer world has really pushed my work from every task, research and planning.

The images indoors was also really effective. It fits well with the inanimate object because it's in the kitchen. I think this would set the showreel to work along with the outdoors image because it's showing a range of locations. I have the kitchen location where the egg fits and the outdoors location which doesn't necessarily happen everyday which makes the location very efficient. The kitchen images were taken under artificial lighting mainly with the cooking fan light. I think this has a good effect on my images because it makes the colours vibrant and makes it happy which was intended with these sets of images. The supermarket was also an indoor location that actually fits well with location. I had shown where the egg fits in on the shelves in the aisles and so forth. Those images were taken with artificial lighting but also some natural lighting coming in from the windows in the far end so it's supposedly mixed. I was really happy how I used the techniques in all these images too. It almost just gives self satisfactory for conducting all the tasks and linking it all together. These images are now all ready to be put together in my showreel. 

Task 4a
This task was researching about royalty free music and understanding the difference with copyright music. Then we had to pick our music for our showreel. I cracked on straight away and found some links with some copyright free music. Bearing in mind that I had to pick a range of different music for each mood I create. After having no hope with the first few links, it felt harder as I searched for my music. Then I came across Bensounds. This website had a modern touch which allowed me to really spend time on the website to find my ideal music. Then I found 3 music that would potentially work for my showreel. I think the music I selected is really effective because it suited the mood and emotions for my images in my head. I think I handled this task really effective by being selective with my music because I wasn't sure how it would be when we edit the showreels in terms of whether I can trim the music or not. So I had the thought of having the music start right from the start. I knew after this research task, we had to put our showreel together so it was just about trial and error to see whether the music actually fits with my images and emotions or not.

Additional Research
This background research just helped me imagine how location photography looks for each genre. I think it has made a positive contribution to my images with this whole urban street genre. Within the research, I also taken some additional images which weren't included in my final piece. I think the images wouldn't work because it would become all random, and my idea is to tell a story behind my showreel. This would make the showreel effective because it just shows how much effort has gone into making it come to life. Therefore, these images are just additional images using the techniques into practice from task 2.







Final Piece
Once all my idea and planning have come together to an end, I put all my research, planning, techniques and ideas together to make my showreel. My final piece in my opinion turned out better than I thought to be extremely honest. I don't really know where to start. So as I was editing the showreel, I resized and numbered all my images in a separate folder using actions then I added them all to the timeline. From my planning, I had a minimal of 20 pictures planned out initially and ended up with 50 for my final showreel. I think this makes my showreel flow better with the music so it's not too short overall or not too long with a minimal number of images all running for a long time, because that would only just lose the viewers attention.


All my final images - resized and numbered for ease,

















I shortened the length of each frame to 2 seconds except the title and credits because time was needed to read the text. I think I gave it a nice time for the images because it's not too long nor too short. It is snappy and works well with the music. This was done effectively because it makes it quirky where it needs to be and emotional where you feel sympathetic. The music I selected from Task 4a has done me justice in this showreel. I feel like it works so well that I never imagined it to flow so fluently. I had to come across so many techniques on Photoshop as I was editing. Such as adjusting the fade in and fade outs because I used 3 different music. They all worked really well. The best thing in my opinions is the ending roll because I like how the text syncs exactly with music beat. It just makes the editing of the showreel look really professional. Another technique was to add some transitions for example before the end credits so it fades to black after the last image. Also included transitions in another frame just before the egg falls off the brick wall. This has been done so that when the image switches from the image with the egg to just the background, it doesn't look like it's edited in poorly where the background just changes focus. The black fade actually gives it this reinforcement effect that the egg has fallen like a tradegy. Then the next shot continues with the egg on the floor.

In addition, the text I used was from an external source. I didn't want to use the default fonts that were in Photoshop so i decided to go online and find the font I want. Then I did some technique where I cropped the text and did a background erase so it because transparent. Then i had to add a colour overlay because the default preview on the website is black so I changed it to white because our background is black. Then added that on to my showreel on top of a new layout for my title and ending. This actually just makes the showreel look more professional, and I think all that additional work was worth it. The font is very elegant in fine, and spaced out. Also works really well with the black background because the text stands out.

If I had to compare my work to anything to a certain extent then I'd say it reminds me of M&S with their advertisements on their adventure of food. I think this is where my inspiration comes from because of the way they use typography. They made this advert look very elegant and I think it just adds a nice touch of a good feeling the way they represent the food as the way they've been shot. I have also attached a link to the advert below so you can see the comparison with my work through my inspiration.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/s/mands-tv?intid=emtv_683_693_7463 




Font Website - The first font selected and I also cropped the Ace.
The M&S Advert Reference to my Typography.

As you can also see in the screenshot above, is the way they have included this graphical line element with the word 'In'. This has also inspired me to consider adding some graphical element to my work to make it look really slick. Then instead of the lines, I thought of adding banners behind the text with a low opacity and a low fill. The screenshots showing that is below.


Title with a Banner

However, in my opinion I think it looks better without it. I think it doesn't look very nice just going across the page. So i thought of having it without the banner. Although it may look very much boring having black and white font like no effort has been made, but I wanted it to look simplistic referring back to that advert. I wanted it to just stand out as it looks great spaced out. After trying with adding the banners on each text, I decided to call it quits and just keep it the way it is. Perhaps if I had extra time or if I could do anything to improve my work, I could try include a line instead like the advert had used. It just adds a little more extra detail in the titles.




Same font as title, for end credits.

Used the font as the website. (An exporting screenshot)


























Here are the two stills of my credits. I also included the credit for my Royalty free music just out of courtesy. As I discovered from my research, the maker of the music will allow you to use the materials as long as they are mentioned. Also it just adds a nice touch to my showreel as the music is perfectly in sync with the beat, as each frame of credit appears. Then the ending music also fades out nicely too by using the fade techniques I discovered on Photoshop.



And there we have it, my final showreel.
- Day in the life of an egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment