Tuesday 4 November 2014

Task 4b - Create and Evaluate

Short Evaluation

As i have mentioned roughly about these images in my mock up tasks, i shall extend my opinions on my outcome. 

Before i go on, this unit was challenging overall. I felt like i wasn't getting inspired by any of the images i saw from when these art movements have started evolving. I couldn't get my head around what cubism and futurism was and my head was blank for ideas. After a long time, i finally got a hang of it after looking into further details and writing up my contextual studies. And before i know it, i started to enjoy myself create such creative images. I have shown these experiments with different perspectives, typography and shown how much i have developed them forward. As we had to start the mock ups, i felt like it was a relief to see progress with the work I've been producing.

Time management in this unit was a struggle. It felt like time flew away and we had so many tasks to carry out within a week that it didn't help to produce work which had no ideas within them. I really enjoyed it when we made the handmade origami's. This was the time where we just had fun in doing something completely different that we wouldn't image to do. It was fun to explore some book covers that really stood out for us.

Next time, i would try and stay on track with some tasks. Some tasks in this unit was a pain because we'd require Photoshop so i had to do all the editing in class and do all the writing part at home in my own time. It was stressful towards the end but I tried the most i could have done in that period of time.

Overall, it's been a good, challenging project compared to the last one. I think the knowledge in this unit was more intense when we was introduced cubism and futurism, and then told to take pictures the week after - it was baffling. But i somehow managed to keep up and finish the project.


One of my finals is this image here. This typography is placed in the lower centre and it has this graphical structure that is aligned with the font so it looks like a invisible straight line/banner. The font is suitable and appropriate because it links to the image with this road concept and it has this 'motorbike tyres' element which can be linked to this image because the type of pathway is suited for motorbikes and pedestrians. The layers of pieces are also very simplistic and it overflows which makes it look third dimensional. The frames are also flipped horizontally and vertically to give this illusion. I would say this is more a modern style of cubism rather than an old style because it is very slick and fashionable to an extent. Overall, i can see this image being a book cover if it had an author and perhaps a rating.




This is also one of my book covers. I like how the image is repetitive with the yellow lines which links to my work on elements of design on pattern. The typography is in the middle and it's perspective is facing downwards. This is a contrast to the lines facing upwards. The font i chose like i've mentioned is the font used on every real road names. It is this UK road font and I thought this works well with the whole image. Also the yellow glow is to make it stand out slightly. I can see this book cover being a suitable cover for a book because it does demonstrate cubism and the typography is composed well. Overall, i'm happy with what i created in the last minute of the project.







This futurism cover shows the movements of this peacock with it's head. I think it could have been overworked and by duplicating the peacock more - it could have shown more movement all along to the left. However, i wanted it to be simple and composed well in the frame. The title is placed with a low opacity banner lower rather than the top because it's on top of the peacock so all attention will go on that spot.











This is an unseen book cover that I've made last minute. It uses this abstract water movement image, and has this modern element use of typography with this little graphical element. It is bang on the centre and aligned slightly to the left hand. The centre makes it stand out and also works well with the imagery because of the water fall right above it. This image is a suitable futurism image because it has this opacity element that shows these slight blurs like they did in my contextual studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment