Tuesday 9 December 2014

Evaluation

In this unit, we focused on capturing movement using film and digital photography. We learned about shutter speed and how using a different range allows us to get different effects. Long shutter speed gives us this blur effect which does personify movement. We also learned about aperture and how light is also controlled by us.

Task 1
For this task, we had to find examples of artists who showed movements in their work and talk about how it may have been created. I found some examples from the library and the internet and shown how it may have been created, along with what effects it has by the way it's shot. I have also linked my work to my artists and the examples I chose. For example, the long exposure of vehicle zooming off for my dark room image was inspired by the red bus reference. This task wasn't really hard but it did require some time to make the work related to the concept of movement as we write it all up.

Task 1b
The time when we had to experiment and take images using manual settings - focusing on shutter speed. I sort of mentioned how it was hard when we had to note down each image settings as we took so many images and some were just a rough take. I think the task itself was fun and it was a good learning curve to learn how shutter speed worked and what sort of images we could take. This was an advantage to use these techniques before we actually had to use film cameras and produce some movement images. 

Task 2
In this task, we had to use film cameras to take images on our trip of movement. We had a short summary of how to use the cameras and then we were sent out to capture our images. I think I succeeded with my images to an extent. I was really glad that they were all exposed correctly and some images did have movement. To another small extent, I think the images weren't very perfect with the focus. I mentioned throughout this project how hard it was to make sure the focus was 100% perfect. If I can improve anything from this task, it would be to improve the focus. It has been a learning curve and the images aren't blurred that badly. It is just a flaw if I had to criticise my work. So as we took each shot, we also had to write the settings for each shot which I also managed well. Think it was a nice change to use film cameras rather than our everyday digital because we got to print them which is also fun.

Task 3
We had to research some flipbooks and explain how many shots would be required to make it a good flipbook. I think this was one of the fun times we've had when we need to research ever because we was looking at flipbooks and GIFS which was a nice change. I felt like I've been flooded with ideas. I think I managed to find some good examples that were linking to my ideas as i were searching for them. Then we had to transform our ideas into a photoshoot using continuous shooting. I think we had some images where things didn't quite turn out how we expected like when i took images of Angelika typing. The camera on continuous shooting took some time to capture in between every shot. It would sort of save to the SD card so it was kind of challenging to get images that would work really quick. To solve this, I decided not to use my camera and use the camera from Keith. Then I came up with the results and i was quite happy with my outcome because the flipbook seemed to work. Then once i created so many GIFS, it just make my vision into reality and most of them runs through really smoothly while it's on loop.

Task 4
This was when we had to make a darkroom timeline of how we created our prints. I think I managed that well. I am unsure if I missed anything major out because I had to do it from my head and I think I covered the main bits. Then we had to find examples of artists who also used darkroom printing for their work. I found some good examples and I felt like I could relate to their work because I had to do a lot of experimentation on different exposures and different contrasts, as this unit is all about darkroom practice. I gave some reasons as to why they might have used darkroom through why I would use darkroom myself such as getting different shades of blacks and whites. It's almost like Photoshop where you can change the levels and make the image look different for different effects.

Painting with Light
This activity was really fun. We used long exposure to take images of us drawing with lights. I managed to take some good shots with my group and showed a range of images where we have a high and low aperture which decides how much light is being exposed by the camera. I have also taken additional images at home which also shows a range of different outcomes. We have some that are a brightly room and some that were a dark room just by how the aperture was set. There were also examples of how bright the light source looked in the images. I think besides the fun, it was a good experimentation that helped us understand how long exposures work because it's easier to understand shutter speed when you use light as the subject (if that makes sense).

Darkroom Technical Folder
In this folder, I have all my prints collated together with descriptions of how it's been created and what effects it may have. I added some extra additional prints that I just made to show a range of different exposures. I think I could made some more bigger prints but I wanted to have 2 finals to narrow down to the best. If I had more time, I would take some more pictures with the film cameras so then I can have a better range of images. But i am happy that everything has worked the first time round.

Finals
I am really grateful about my final image. Well the car zooming off image. That picture looks really good because it shows movement in such a parallel way. You can almost tell it's a car without seeing it because of the road and the way it's composition is set. I really like how the borders around work and the whole motion blur is right in the centre. I'm pretty impressed with how I took this image on film camera which is harder than digital. The reason why the exposure and the contrast is like that because I intentionally didn't want a high contrast or the details of the blur will go. And the exposure seems just right because you can see everything subtly. 

The second of my final images is of a truck. This image does show movement and you can see the truck take off. I think this image is good but compared to the other one, you can visually see the car. This is probably because this image had a faster but long shutter speed whereas the other image was taken with a completely long shutter speed. This image also doesn't have such a high contrast because I didn't want to lose any details. I also showed an example of how a high contrast and slightly over exposed image looks. I think it makes an image look grungy and this wasn't suitable when mine was about movement. Although it is possible to have a grunge image that does show movement.

My handmade flipbook turned out to be really cool. The pages flip very smoothly and you can see how the facial expressions change. I think due to finishing everything else, I couldn't make any more and printing credit were really high when i had some additional time last minute before the deadline. It was really confusing at first to make these without any help and cutting them had to be rather accurate to make it a good flipbook. I have also created the GIF of the same images so it can be demonstrated digitally.

Overall, i think i have managed my time quite well because i finished all the tasks and activities before the deadline. The last few moments weren't as rushed as before. I feel like i'm really starting to get used to the structure of finishing work before the deadline, rather than cramping it all together. I think by evaluating how i performed previously, i have seen a change and a progression with taking the units calmly. Which leaves me some additional time if needed for any extra work or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment